Lexus is proud to unveil details of the all-new 2023 RZ 450e, the luxury brand’s first global Battery EV (BEV).
Since the launch of the RX400h in 2005, Lexus has been a pioneer of electrification within the luxury market. As with the first RX hybrid model, Lexus engineers have imbued the brand’s hybrid vehicles with an excellent driving identity and environmental performance. Under the ‘Lexus Electrified’ vision, Lexus aims to invigorate all guests’ authentic love for driving exhilaration, and in doing so, will broaden its Lexus Electrified portfolio of hybrid electric vehicle (HEV), battery electric vehicle (BEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) products to exceed the needs and expectations of a more diverse set of luxury buyers.
The portfolio expansion will move Lexus toward another essential goal: The realization of a sustainable global society. Lexus will contribute to achieving a carbon-neutral society by offering a full lineup of BEVs in all categories by 2030. Five years later, Lexus seeks to attain 100% BEV sales globally. To meet these challenges, Lexus will rigorously improve its products, along with the expertise of its personnel, by repeating “drive and fix” development at Toyota Technical Center Shimoyama (TTCS), Lexus’ new operational base.
“We believe that Lexus, an established luxury automaker, should continue pursuing the creation of exciting cars while respecting nature and the global environment to achieve a carbon-neutral society,” said Takashi Watanabe, chief engineer, ‘Lexus Electrified’, Lexus International. “The RZ has been developed with the aim of creating a uniquely Lexus BEV that feels secure to ride in, is pleasing to the touch, and is exhilarating to drive. DIRECT4, the core technology of ‘Lexus Electrified,’ is all-wheel drive system that achieves quick and linear response according to driver input. We will continue to take on the challenge of providing customers with new experiences and a uniquely Lexus BEV driving experience.”
Read also: How to know when Car Tyres need Replacing
As Lexus’ first global BEV model, the all-new RZ marks Lexus’ transition into a BEV-centered brand, and it embodies the unique Lexus vehicle design and driving experience made available through advanced, electrified technology. The utilization of a BEV-specific platform (e-TNGA), as well as a lightweight and highly rigid body, has enhanced the fundamental performance of the vehicle by achieving optimal weight distribution through ideal placement of the battery and motor. In addition, the DIRECT4 all-wheel drive system and the adoption of a new steering control and available Steer by Wire system enable vehicle control that is more true to the driver’s
The exterior design expresses the seamless acceleration and dynamic torque-filled performance specific to BEVs. Lexus’ identifiable spindle grille is replaced by a BEV Spindle Body. The new front bumper design focuses on aerodynamic efficiencies, optimized proportions and style, versus serving the cooling and exhaust needs of an internal combustion engine. This styling evolution ushers in a new Lexus aesthetic and establishes a new design direction for BEV offerings.
Within the spindle body is a minimalist, spacious interior focused on amplifying a sustainable mobility message and Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs) through its application of mindfully sourced materials. Though simplistic, the space is luxurious thanks to its crafted touches and advanced technologies. In addition, the cabin features a standard panoramic roof which visually opens the space, while passenger comfort is improved by a highly efficient heating system featuring a Lexus-first radiant heater.
Features of the Lexus RZ 450e, the First Pure Battery EV
The evolution of the uniquely personalized Lexus Driving Signature through electrification
- DIRECT4, a new all-wheel drive force distribution system that supports predictable and faithful driving performance according to the driver’s intentions
- New, stronger human-machine connection made possible through a Steer-by-Wire system
- Achieves excellent driving performance with a dedicated BEV platform that enhances its fundamental characteristics
- Achieves a balance between sound generation and a very quiet interior space―the DNA of Lexus
- Aerodynamic performance that contributes to driving performance and a cutting-edge design specific to BEVs
- BEV system utilizing technology cultivated over many years with HEVs
A design that pursues a unique Lexus BEV identity and proportions born from a dynamic driving experience
- The new spindle body and vehicle proportions that express the athletic Lexus BEV personality
- Side and rear designs that express the dynamic performance brought about by electrification technology
- Exterior colors that enhance the BEV character
- Clean and expansive omotenashi interior space
- A human-centered cockpit that maximizes driving pleasure
- Ambient illumination and interior colors for a comfortable interior
Advanced safety technologies and omotenashi features that enrich the travel experience
- Advanced preventive safety technology Lexus Safety System +
- Lexus Teammate for comfortable mobility
- Omotenashi functions that create a comfortable space
- New functional values made possible through advanced technology
Elegant, intuitive multimedia system and connected services
- The RZ will feature the North American-developed Lexus Interface multimedia system recently launched on the NX and LX
- The system will be accessible via voice commands and a 14-inch touchscreen
Availability and Pricing of the Lexus RZ 450e
The 2023 Lexus RZ 450e is expected to go on sale towards the end of 2022. For more information, click here.
Main specifications of the new Lexus RZ 450e
|Overall length||4,805 mm|
|Overall width||1,895 mm|
|Overall height||1,635 mm|
|Tire size||18/20 inches|
|Cruise range||Approx. 450 km*2|
|Battery capacity||71.4 kWh|
|Output (kW)||Front: 150 (kW)|
Rear: 80 (kW)