MTN Nigeria and Pan-Atlantic University (PAU), has announced the launch of the MTN Media Innovation Programme which would be run by the PAU’s School of Media and Communication.
The initiative is open to media practitioners across the country, including print, electronic, and online platforms, as well as social media content creators.
The Chief Executive Officer, MTN Nigeria, Karl Toriola, during the launch of the event, said, “We are driven by our belief that everyone deserves the benefits of a modern connected world and are driving accelerated growth by leading digital solutions for Nigeria’s progress.
“Against this backdrop, the media landscape continues changing at remarkable speeds, boosted by new technologies.
“Thus, it is only fitting that we support developments in the Nigerian media space with our infrastructure and enable capacity building initiatives to enable innovation in media practice.”
The telecom boss expressed satisfaction over partnering with the Pan-Atlantic University, given the latter’s expertise, which he said had contributed immensely to the professional development of the media industry in Nigeria and across the African continent.
In his reaction, the Vice Chancellor, Pan-Atlantic University, Prof. Enase Okonedo, stated, “The School of Media and Communication was established to train professionals who will uphold the highest intellectual, ethical and professional values that promote creativity, critical knowledge, social responsibility and the spirit of enterprise.
“The MTN Media Innovation Programme could not have come at a better time for Nigerian media practitioners to imbibe these pertinent values,” Okonedo added.
More details about MTN Media Innovation Programme (MIP)
The MTN Media Innovation Programme (MIP) is a 6-week long programme spread across six months for media practitioners in the Nigerian space. The programme will increase the knowledge and skill base of the participants and help them understand the changing media landscape, and how to effectively use technology to create impactful media content.
The MTN Media Innovation Programme (MIP) is a certificate course run by the School of Media and Communication, Pan-Atlantic University, with a focus on the convergence between ICT and the media. MIP is going to be a fellowship for journalists (media practitioners across the entire spectrum, including social media), and it is designed to help them build capacity at both professional and business levels, and will be delivered over a 6-month period as a certificate course. It has a transforming potential of empowering media practitioners to do their job better and drive innovation that will lead to building the needed sustainability in the industry.
The programme is designed to empower media practitioners with the essential innovative, entrepreneurial, and technical skills to enable them to do their jobs better. The focus on exploring the convergence between ICT and the media could not have come at a better time than now for Nigerian media practitioners, given the existing skill gap in this area.
Fully funded by MTN Nigeria, the MIP will build the capacity of Nigerian media practitioners through training and exposure to real-life case studies that can birth innovative ideas that will enable them to lead outstanding media careers. The MIP fellows will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to thrive in a rapidly changing media environment, and guarantee career and financial success.
Students Learning Outcomes
- Learn the requisites for innovation in the media landscape
- Develop an enhanced grasp of the changing media landscape propelled by ICT
- Witness improvement in writing and reporting skills
- Have better insights into the telecommunications and ICT landscape in Nigeria
- Have a greater understanding of how the ICT & Telecoms industry in Nigeria work and the role of MTN Nigeria in the mix
- Be equipped to take advantage of existing legitimate means to monetize their skills in a fast-changing media landscape
Every participant will experience improved knowledge in three broad areas:
- The Telecoms industry
- Media Innovation
- Writing & Reporting
MTN MIP Programme Modules
- MTN & the Nigerian Telecoms Industry
- Creativity & Innovation
- Media Entrepreneurship/management principles
- ICT and the Media: An Introduction
- Making Money as a Journalist
- Media Ethics
- Subscription Business
- Research, Writing & (Financial) Reporting
- Strategic Planning Skills
- Emotional Intelligence and Decision Making Process
- 5G and IoT
- Fintech, E-Commerce: Business and revenue models
- Stakeholder Relations and Corporate Reputation Management
- Experiential Marketing
- Marketing Activation
- PowerPoint Tools for Effective Presentation
- Proposal Writing Skills
- FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Volunteer Programme
- KuCoin Launches $100 Million NFT Creators Fund to Empower Web 3.0 Universe
- Kadena Launches $100 Million Grant Program for Web3 Builders
The MTN Media Innovation Programme (MIP) for Nigeria media practitioners in the print, online and social media space is a 6-week long programme spread across six months.
- 33 days in class
- 3 days in MTN Nigeria Headquarters
- 7 days in South Africa
- 1 day at the innovation hub
Number of Scholarships Available
The course, fully sponsored by MTN Nigeria, would be available to 20 successful applicants.
Application ends 5th May, 2022.
How to Apply