Home Agriculture Lagos to establish a N10 billion aquaculture and food production Centre in...

Lagos to establish a N10 billion aquaculture and food production Centre in epe and badagry

Governor of Lagos state, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has announced plans to establish a N10 billion Lagos Aquaculture Centre of Excellence (LACE) project to be located in Igbonla, Epe under a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement. He also announced plans to build two food production centers namely; State Songhai project in Badagry and the Agricultural Training Institute, Araga, Epe. The LACE project is located on a 35 hectares of land in Igbonla.

The State Governor, represented by his deputy Dr Obafemi Hamzat announced this during the 2020 Agricultural Value Chains Empowerment Programme at Police College, Ikeja and named the project Lagos Aquaculture Centre (LACE).

He explained that the project is aimed at ensuring sustained food production and supply, resuscitation, expansion, stocking of agricultural production facilities in various value chains in the state. It was designed to boost the growth of aquaculture industry in the state through the direct production of 2,000 tonnes of fish annually.

The project located on a 35 hectares of land aims at providing inputs to fish farmers under the Lagos Nucleus Farms (LANS) scheme and serve as take off point for fish farm clusters in the state.

“The experience of the past few months during the lockdown occasioned by COVID-19 Pandemic has further reinforced the urgent need to expand the State’s food production base to meet such spontaneous increase in demand for food in the future”.

Agriculture sector remains a key component. Currently, Lagos state level of food self-sufficiency stands at about 20% leaving a deficit of about 80 percent, which is mostly accounted for by supplies from other States. The Government wants to attain 100 percent increase in food self-sufficiency and achieve 40% food self-sufficiency in the State by 2023.

Other flagship projects include the 32 Tons/hour rice mill in Imota to be commission by December 2020,the Lagos Agripreneurship Programme, the Agro-Processing, Productivity Enhancement, and Livelihood Improvement Support Project (APPEALS), the Coconut Value Chain Development project, the Red Meat Value Chain project, the Fish Cage Culture Project among others.

Also Read: Nigeria plans to build 142 agro-processing centres

Ndaman Joshua Olayinkahttp://www.yinksmedia.com
Tech Zealot and Passionate about writing everything concerning it. I support Arsenal.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Ramadan 2021: 7 important Apps for Muslims observing the holy Islamic month

Ramadan 2021 begins in a few days time either on Tuesday or Wednesday depending upon the moon sighting. It is the month...

Jumia, others Inaugurate e-commerce Sectoral Group under LCCI

Jumia and other e-commerce players within the Nigerian tech ecosystem have inaugurated an e-commerce sectoral group under the banners of the Lagos...

Mastercard’s Study reveals 81% increase in Online Shopping among Nigeria consumers since the start of pandemic

Mastercard’s study on consumer spending has revealed that over four out of five (81%) consumers in Nigeria are shopping more online since...

Lagos State traffic management authority (LASTMA) unveils Body-worn cameras for effective traffic management

The unveiling of body-worn cameras for law enforcement personnel in Lagos State will enhance accountability and transparency in traffic management and enforcement...

Recent Comments