The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on August 6th 2019 introduced a public portal for viewing election results, known as “The INEC Result Viewing (IReV)”. IRev enables Nigerians to view polling unit results in real time as voting ends on the day of election.
According to Inec, this new step was taken to strengthen the process of managing election and enhance the transparency of the system. Inec hopes to address voters and citizens concern about transparency in the conduct of elections and process on how elections result is released.
Mr Festus Okoye, National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, in a statement said that It is a fundamental principle of democracy that in elections, votes are not only counted currently, but that they also count.
He emphasized that this does not constitute electronic collation of results. The collation of result remains as provided by law, a manual process of competed relevant sheets and upward collation until final results are determined.
He further said that this innovation will start from would begin from the Nasarawa Central State Constituency bye-election in Nasarawa State holding on August 8th, 2020. The innovation by the commission will be extended to ESO and Ondo Governorship elections.
How to use iRev during elections
- Visit www.inecelectionresults.com
- Create a new account
- Fill the details and sign in.
- Provide state of origin and select continue
- Check for activation code email sent to the email address used to create a new account.
- Enter it into the text box on the portal and activate.
- After login, you can select any election whose polling unit results you want to view. Use the filter buttons for easier search.
- Always logout out of the portal after use.