Digital Explorers has launched applications for the second cohort of the program. This time, it is a female-only track that will select up to 15 female Data Analysts and Data Scientists at entry-level who will undergo up to 6 months paid traineeship in Lithuania. The program will consist of an intensive training and a placement at a Lithuanian company.
Digital Explorers launched in 2019, selecting 15 Nigerian ICT specialists, from a pool of 1,400 young talents. The first cohort of 15 digital explorers have spent a year in Lithuania, working, learning, and networking. They are now wrapping up their 1 – year career advancement journey and transitioning to full-time, more permanent employment.
For the next cohort, Digital Explorers is partnering with Data Science Nigeria to identify and select Data Analysts/Scientists for its 2020 Virtual Bootcamp (to commence on 20th October, 2020).
The objective of this cohort is to support women in tech and contribute to closing the global tech gender gap by offering tailored data analysis / data science traineeships to selected participants.
This also gives an opportunity for Nigerian Companies with existing female entry level data scientists and analysts to encourage their staff to apply.
Participants will receive tailored training, international exposure and return after 6 months better equipped to contribute to the success of the organization. The training participants received will be tailored to meet market demands in Lithuania and Nigeria. At the end of the programme, participants will be further assisted in finding the right employment opportunities in Nigeria.
Nigerian companies interested in hiring data analysts and data scientists in the future can partner by registering here to recruit participants who successfully complete the programme on their return from Nigeria.
In his vision essay about this program, Kola Aina – Founder of Ventures Platform says this project is about upskilling the next generation of Nigerian entrepreneurs and knowledge workers with global networks and connections. Our ‘Digital Explorers’ will be working side by side with amazing people on world class teams, building products and services for global clients, and spending a lot of time in structured learning and networking activities… Looked at from a certain perspective, the people who make it into the Digital Explorers programme are effectively being paid to learn and acquire world class skills.”
Speaking on the launch of the second track of the Digital Explorers program, Eugenija Kovaliova, Co-founder of AfriKo says, Lithuanian ICT sector has been maturing significantly over the past decades and this has been recognized by many international tech companies, hiring Lithuanian specialists to work on complex projects. At Digital Explorers we want to open up an opportunity for Nigerian talents to work alongside Lithuania’s best and bring back acquired skills and knowledge for a stronger Nigerian digital landscape.”
Mimshach Obioha, the Executive Director at Ventures Platform Foundation, added, “The choice to focus on Data Analysts and Data Scientists is fueled by the growing global demand across different industries for jobs such as Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Specialists or Data Scientists.”
Apply now ( 5th October 2020 ) : Vacancy at United Nigeria Airline
How to apply?
Interested Nigerian entry-level female data analysts/scientists are required to register for the DSN Hackathon through this link – bit.ly/AIBootcamp20_hack in order to make it into the Virtual Bootcamp.
Application for the DSN Hackathon closes on Saturday October 3rd, 2020.
Your journey to becoming a digital explorer
- Register here by 3rd October 2020 and participate at DSN AI Bootcamp Qualification Hackathon by Data Science Nigeria to make it to the next selection round. Those who will be selected for the bootcamp will get access to Digital Explorers application.
- Fill in the application form and complete a technical qualification task to be selected for Digital Explorers hands-on training during the Bootcamp by 15th October. You will have only a day to perform the task and you will need to ensure stable internet/power connection. The 50 best performers will be selected to take part in Digital Explorers training.
- Together with the team of Lithuanian experts on data analysis and data science you will go through intensive hands-on training, while also being interviewed by the Digital Explorers team for further consideration at the digital explorers stream of the Bootcamp. ( 20 – 24 October)
- The best performing candidates will proceed further and participate in soft & hard skills tests and interviews with perfect-match Lithuanian ICT companies by November 2020z
- After the selection, the best ones will take-off for Lithuania, where they will learn the practicalities of data craft with leading Lithuanian companies up to six months and enter a tailored training programme by December 2020.
Note: Timeline is subject to change due COVID-19 related risks, and partly remote placement itineraries are being considered.
The first and most important criteria is your strong motivation to be a true Digital Explorer – be ready to spend up to 6 months in Lithuania, take the best out of it and contribute to the success of the company that you will be placed at. Besides that, you are eligible if:
- You are an entry level Female Nigerian Data Analyst / Data Scientist who currently resides in Nigeria;
- You have at least one year of relevant Data Analysis / Data Science experience (it can be education, internship or work experience);
- You are able to participate in the whole selection process if shortlisted;
- You are able to relocate to Lithuania in November 2020 to spend up to 6 months as part of the programme;
- You have a valid international passport by October 2020 (during the application process) and it’s valid at least until December 2021.
Duration of the digital explorers programme
- Application and selection process ( October 2020-November 2020 )
- November 2020-April 2021 (Traineeship in Lithuania)
- Reintegration in Nigeria (April 2021-May 2021)
Why you should apply for the programme?
- The 15 selected digital explorers will be provided with monthly stipend, accommodation, whereas a friendly Digital Explorers community will help you to land on the right foot in Lithuania.
- Be part of a highly motivated group of people ready to challenge themselves, experience new culture, grow professionally and personally together.
- Not only get opportunity to work on interesting and sophisticated projects in Lithuania, European ICT hub, but also get familiar with the local ecosystem.
- Have support from the programme team throughout your whole journey – be it soft landing in Lithuania or finding work opportunities upon return to Nigeria.
- It is a pilot programme between the two countries that had limited engagements before, so you would become a true pathmaker creating an unexpected yet mutually beneficial connections.
Graduation day for the first cohort of Digital explorers
It's #GraduationDay for the first cohort of #DigitalExplorers! 💥🥳🎉12 brave, talented and ambitious Nigerian IT professionals have been in Lithuania for 12 months and survived both the cold winter 🥶, the covid-19 lockdown 😷and an intensive career advancement program 👩💻👨💻 pic.twitter.com/9Dcl9lPSbT— Digital Explorers (@digitalxplorer) September 17, 2020
Partners of the digital explorers programme
The programme is implemented by a consortium of partners well-equipped for the journey ahead:
- Enterprise Lithuania, a public agency established in Lithuania to promote entrepreneurship, support business development and foster export.
- Ventures Platform Foundation, is the impact arm of Ventures Platform that supports entrepreneurs and innovators leveraging technology to build the future of Africa.
- AfriKo, a Lithuania based boutique Africa research and consultancy centre that specializes in ICT4D field.
- Code Academy, an ICT training provider based in Lithuania offering courses designed and delivered by experienced professionals.
- Diversity Development Group, a think and do tank carrying out scientific, applied and infrastructural projects in the fields of diversity, migration, and integration.
To learn more visit https://digitalexplorers.eu/projects/female-track/
Related article: Zindi launches recruitment platform for Africa’s data scientists
Source: Digital Explorers