International institute for tropical agriculture (IITA) has announced a call for application to young Nigerians both men and women between the age of 18 and 35 years living in Lagos, Kano, and Kaduna. Young Africa Works-IITA project is an innovative approach to agribusiness training and start-ups for Nigeria’s young people.
In May this year, the IITA in partnership with Mastercard Foundation started the Young Africa Works-IITA Project. This project is designed to advance agribusiness opportunity to over 40,000 Nigerian youths especially women. It focuses on providing skills development, decent employment and entrepreneurship opportunity for youth to secure dignified and fulfilling work in agri-food value chains for the next five years.
“Agriculture is among the most viable potential source of employment for young people in Africa,” said Chidinma Lawanson, Country Head for Nigeria, Mastercard Foundation. “We are excited to see how our Young Africa Works partnership with IITA will make the agricultural sector more attractive to young people, particularly women by providing skills training in the agriculture value chain for employment and entrepreneurship opportunities.”
The project is working with partners in various sectors;
- To strengthen agricultural training for young people
- Provide youth particularly young women with skills needed to better compete for decent employment and develop their own successful businesses in agriculture and agro-processing,
- Develop youth-sensitive loan and agribusiness support programs in collaboration with financialinstitutions that recognize the specialized needs of youth as agricultural borrowers.
- Transition youth vocational training centres into youth agribusiness parks that offer workspace,experiential learning, opportunities and collective services to youth
The Young Africa Works-IITA project is currently seeking applicants within Kaduna, Kano, and Lagos, to build their capacity to be trained and work within the supported value chain of rice, soybean, maize, cowpea, poultry, vegetable, mushroom, groundnut, fish and livestock.
Application is now open for youth between the age of 18-35 years to participate in the @youngafricawks-iita project training program in Kaduna, Kano and Lagos States.— IITA Youth Agrip (@IITAYOUTHAGRIP) November 13, 2020
This is a golden opportunity to become one of the major players in the agriculture sector pic.twitter.com/TknuSuJNQJ
The project and training will focus on; Entrepreneurial and Employment track
The programme has identified several enterprises and successful agribusiness models attractive to youths. This will guide the intended beneficiaries to produce a bankable business plan at the end of this training track. The Young Africa Works-IITA project has partnered with financial institution such as Sterling Bank, NIRSAL to facilitate access to sources of finance and credit. Access to post training support will be facilitated by the project.
The program is aware of the skills gap between youth and potential employers, as a result, this training aims to better match these two interests. This will be conducted through commercial internships and mentorship in order to further advance skills development and find better jobs. Youth emerging from employment-track training are provided assistance to find decent jobs through professional placement services.
Eligibility Criteria for 2020 Young Africa works-IITA project training program
- Aged 18 – 35 years
- Must be ordinarily resident in the respective municipal area (and live within 5km radius of a cluster) – This means that the youth must live in the community for at least four days in a week
- Must have attained at least Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3) for entrepreneurship track & a diploma for employment track
- Willingness to commit at least 6 weeks for the training
- Must demonstrate passion for agriculture
- Interest in the project focus commodities
- Must have access to a functional mobile phone
- Affiliation to a registered association is an added advantage
A certificate will be issued upon completion of the training program.
Click HERE to apply
Limited Forms are also available at:
- Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority, 371 Oko-Oba, Agege Motor Rd, Agege, Lagos
- IITA office, National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services (NAERLS) office complex, Zaria Kaduna State.
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Sabo Bakin Zuwo Road, Kano State.
Application period: November 12th to December 12th, 2020
A follow up interview may be conducted for the final selection of beneficiaries to be considered for the training. Contact email@example.com