The British Council ELTons Awards for innovation in English language teaching and learning celebrate the newest and most original courses, books, publications, apps, platforms, projects, and more, which find new ways to meet the real-life needs of English language learners and teachers around the world. The award is
In the last year, professionals in the global English language teaching community have shown extraordinary resourcefulness, finding ways to limit the disruption to learners’ education, at an unparalleled pace. The ELTons innovation awards 2021 now in the nineteenth year is an opportunity to recognise and celebrate teams and individuals innovating against the odds.
In the previous year, an impressive field of entries came from 45 countries across six continents, spanning the different needs of English language learners at every age, in diverse contexts.
The British Council is committed to making sure the ELTons Innovation Awards are inclusive and reflect the broad diversity of English language education around the world. All applicants from different backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
ELTons Innovation Awards 2021 Categories
Professionals in English language education around the world are invited to apply for the Elton awards, across one of the five categories:
- Excellence in Course Innovation – Courses using a fresh variety of content, formats, or media, to help learners achieve stretching levels of English language proficiency.
- Innovation in Teacher Resources – Resources supporting English language teaching professionals, whether through teacher training, education, or Continuing Professional Development.
- Innovation in Learner Resources – Services, activities, materials or works using innovative means to improve English language learners’ proficiency in vocabulary, grammar, fluency, receptive and productive skills, or vital language skills for study or for work.
- Digital Innovation – Use of digital technology or media – cutting edge technologies, or original use of existing technology – to benefit high-quality English language learning
- Local Innovation in partnership with Cambridge Assessment English – Resources or project innovating to meet specific, local needs, within local, national or regional contexts around the world
In 2021, in addition to submitting your innovation into one of the ELTons’ five main award categories, you can also choose to put your entry forward to be considered for two special commendations, the ELTons Judges’ Commendations for:
- Environmental Sustainability and Climate Action (new for 2021)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
A full description of the five award categories further information about the ELTons’ commendation is listed here
- Applications from organisations large and small, from: schools, universities, publishers and start-ups, to charities, associations and collectives are warmly welcomed.
- Professionals in English language education around the world – educators, leaders, publishers, project managers, writers and authors
- Innovators flying solo: authors, materials writers, teacher trainers, consultants, and more are also welcomed to apply.
How to Apply for the ELTons Innovation Awards
Have you produced an innovative English language teaching or learning product, publication or service in the last two years? Make your submission to the ELTons Innovation Awards! To enter your innovation into the ELTons 2021, there are two steps to the application process.
To enter your innovation:
- Complete the ELTons 2021 application form
- Upload your application via the ELTons online submission portal.
Note: Application forms can be submitted either as a Microsoft Word or PDF file.
To complete your application submission via the ELTons online submission portal, in addition to your application form, you must submit one, digital copy of your entry (e.g. digital access to your course, book, app, platform, project materials, etc.).
Please note, entry samples to the ELTons 2021 must be provided in a digital format. (Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances it is not possible to submit physical samples.)
Deadline for submission of applications: Sunday 21 March 2021, 23.59 UK time
Find out more about how to enter your innovation via the official website here
Visit the ELTons 2020 web page to see last years’ winners and finalists.